January 7, 2009

Recommended Reading (sort of)

These aren't reviews - just a quick list of things I've enjoyed recently that I think you might, too.

1. Sphere (1998): This sci-fi thriller, based on Michael Chrichton's novel stars Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone and Samuel L. Jackson. When an ancient, derelict spacecraft is discovered on the ocean floor, a team of scientists is dispatched to investigate. The concept is fairly straight forward, but the plot is rife with twists and surprises that will keep you guessing. Well worth watching, and I picked it up for only five dollars at Wal-mart.


2. Ringworld (1972, Larry Niven): Without this novel it's likely that Halo never would have seen the light of day, at the very least not in it's present form. Larry Niven rams the reader with a combination of hard science fiction, with concepts sure to make your head spin, and couples it with an adventure story that will keep you reading until the very last page. Ringworld tells the story of the most magnificent artifact ever discovered - the Ringworld - and of a group of explorers dispatched to investigate it.


3. Snaptell (2008, iPhone): This may be the coolest iPhone app yet. If you thought song identifiers were cool (see Shazam) then this will blow your mind. The concept is simple - hold up any DVD, CD, book, or video game, and take a picture with your iPhone's camera. Snaptell then runs a quick search, and provides links to Amazon, Ebay, Google, Youtube, IMDB and more, all related to the item. I myself tried five titles - two books, one Xbox 360 game, and two DVDs - and Snaptell was able to find all of them. The practical uses for this app are limited (quick price comparisons and showing off your iPhone are the only things which come to mind), but it's just so cool to take a picture of something and have your phone go, "I know what that is." It's extremely easy to use, reliable, and it's free.


4. Mass Effect (2007, Xbox 360, PC): Now I realize, if you're the kind of person who WOULD play Mass Effect, and has the means to do so, then you probably already have, but I'm putting it on the list anyway. Developed by Bioware, the famed studio responsible for Jade Empire and the Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic series, Mass Effect is a sci-fi story-based action RPG like no other. You're presented with a galaxy, and given the task, "explore". There is a semi-linear story which must be completed in order to "beat" the game, but one can spend hours upon hours doing nothing even remotely related to the primary campaign, exploring planet after planet in your tricked out starship, The Normandy. I won't waste too much time describing this game, as it's old news by this point, but I will say that I love Mass Effect. Put some time into playing it when you have the inclination, and I suspect you will too.


5. Facebook: I hate Myspace. I used to love it. Now I hate it. Facebook's interface may be a bit confusing, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes obvious that Myspace is the VHS of the Internet, while Facebook is undoubtedly its Bluray. Look me up. I'm in the San Antonio network. I'll write on your wall, and you can send me bumper stickers, which I'll ignore.


That's all you get this week. Go forth and consume.

2 comments: